A Wide Range of Experience
David has over 30 years of experience in employment law, discrimination and civil rights. He has represented employees and employers with an emphasis in the past 20 years in employee representation. He has experience in all facets of employee-employer litigation. David is also a trained, certified and experienced mediator. David is dedicated to making a positive difference through the careful application of insight, skill and tenacity for those he serves.
David was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. He attended Brandeis University where he graduated with honors, before continuing his education abroad at St. John's College in Oxford.There he studied philosophy of the mind and the problems of freedom, determinism and responsibility.
After school, David worked as an instructor in Philosophy at Upsala College in East Orange, New Jersey, teaching introduction to Philosophy, Greek Philosophy, History of Philosophy, Modern Philosophy and American Philosophy. He returned to Des Moines in 1969, working first as Executive Director of Community Improvement, Inc. and then as General Manager and President of Iowa Paint Manufacturing Co., Inc. At the age of 35, David returned to school, where he earned his J.D. from the University of Iowa's College of Law in 1977. He was admitted to practice law in the State of Iowa the same year.
David's law career began with Rogers, Phillips & Swanger, where he was made a partner in less than two years. In 1982, he was a founding member of Black, Reimer & Goldman, a firm practicing primarily in the fields of civil rights, employment, labor, OSHA, administrative, corporate, education and health law. He later founded David H. Goldman, P.C., where he added mediation services to his repertoire.
In 2000, David H. Goldman, P.C., merged with Babich & Renzo, which has since become Babich Sarcone, P.C. David continues to take cases in employment law, representing both employees and employers. As a certified mediator, David continues to provide mediation services for disputes of all kinds, but primarily in issues of employment.
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- J.D. - 1977
- Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 1964
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Philosophy
- Oxford University, St. John's College, Oxford
- Major: Philosophy
- Iowa, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Iowa, 1977
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Iowa, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1977
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- Casey’s General Stores, Inc. v. Blackford, 661 N.W.2d 515, 2003, Iowa
- IBP, Inc. v. Iowa Employment Appeal Board, 604 N.W.2d 307, 1999, Iowa
- Valentine v. American Home Shield Corporation, 939 F. Supp. 1376, 1996, N.D. Iowa
- Matter of Phillips, 166 B.R. 129, 1994, S.D. Iowa
- Hunsaker v. Public Employment Relations Board, 504 N.W.2d 633, 1993, Iowa
- Greenland v. Fairtron Corporation, 500 N.W.2d 36, 1993, Iowa
- Nicol v. Iowa Civil Rights Commission, 490 N.W.2d 565, 1991, Iowa
- Verne R. Houghton Insurance Agency, Inc. v. Orr Drywall, Co., 470 N.W.2d 39, 1991, Iowa
- Conaway v. Webster City Products Co., 431 N.W.2d 795, 1988, Iowa
- Lustavitch of Iowa, Inc., et al. v. Walters and the State of Iowa, 681 F. Supp. 610, 1988, S.D. Iowa
- Lustavitch of Iowa, Inc., et al. v. Walters and the State of Iowa, 873 F.2d 1161, 1988, 8th Cir.
- B.A.A v. Chief Medical Officer, University of Iowa Hospitals, 421 N.W.2d 118, 1988, Iowa
- Robbins v. Easter Enterprises, Inc., 650 F. Supp. 199, 1985, S.D. Iowa
- Robbins v. Iowa Road Builders Co., 828 F.2d 1348, 1987, 8th Cir.
- Robbins v. Easter Enterprises, Inc., 487 U.S. 1234, 108 S.Ct. 2899, 101 L.Ed.2d 933, 1988
- Easter Enterprises, Inc. v. Robbins, 487 U.S. 1240, 108 S.Ct 2914, 101 L.Ed.2d 945, 1988
- Eswood Homes, Inc. v. Iowa Department of Job Service, 379 N.W.2d 33, 1985, Iowa Ct. App.
- Newsom v. U.S., 676 F.2d 647, 1982, Cl. Ct.
- Matter of Lewellyn, 26 B.R. 246, 1982, S.D. Iowa
- Libe v. Board of Education of Twin Cedars Community School District, 350 N.W.2d 748, 1981, Iowa Ct. App.
- Moody v. Bogue, 310 N.W.2d 655, 1981, Iowa Ct. App.
- Jackson County Public Hospital v. Public Employment Relations Bd., 280 N.W.2d 426, 1979, Iowa
- McFarland v. Board of Ed. Of Norwalk Community School Dist., 277 N.W.2d 901, 1979, Iowa
- City of Des Moines v. Public Employment Relations Bd., 275 N.W.2d 753, 1979, Iowa
- Polk County Bar Association, Member
- Iowa State Bar, Labor and Employment Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Labor Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Member
- Iowa Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- National Employment Lawyers Association, Member
- Iowa District Court Mediation Program, Member
- Iowa Association of Mediators, Member
- Association for Conflict Resolution, Member
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Mediator, American Academy of ADR Attorneys
- Employment Law
- Civil Rights
- Mediation Services
- AV® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Classes & Seminars
- Instructor, Upsala College in East Orange, New Jersey
Pro Bono Activities
- Member, Polk County Conservation Board/City of Des Moines Trails and Greenways Advisory Committee
- Board Member, Bnai Jeshurun Congregation
- President, Board of Jewish Education and Culture of the Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines, Iowa
- President, National Board Member, Des Moines Chapter of the American Society for Technion—Israel Institute of Technology
- Board Member, Des Moines Community Playhouse
- President, Des Moines Jewish Academy
- Committee Member, Des Moines Public Schools Committee on Religion in Curriculum
- Co-Chair, Governor's 1985 Iowa Trade Mission to Israel
- Board Member, Hospice of Iowa Foundation
- Board Member, Iowa Children and Family Services
- Vice President, Iowa Civil Liberties Union
- Board Member, Iowa Methodist Health Foundation
- President, Jewish Community Relations Commission of Greater Des Moines, Iowa
- Member of Executive Committee, Jewish Council on Public Affairs (JCPA)
- Board Member, Jewish Educational Service of North America, Inc. (JESNA)
- Board Member, Executive Committee Member, Jewish Federation of Greater Des Moines, Iowa
- Board Member, Mid-Iowa Drug Abuse Council
- Member, Bishop Dingman Task Force on Human Rights
- National Conference of Christians and Jews
- Board Member, Vice Chair for Long Range Planning, Science Center of Iowa
- Board Member, Executive Committee Member, United Way of Central Iowa